Fort at No. 4 Living History Museum
May 23. 2013 4:13PM
267 Springfield Road
Charlestown, NH 03603
Toll free: 888-367-8284
Marker Number: 2
Name and date established: Charlestown 1958
Description: In 1744 the settlers at No.4 (now Charlestown) built a great log fort enclosing many of the town's dwellings. The fort, northernmost in the Connecticut Valley, was besieged in 1747 by a large force of French and Indians who were beaten off by the 31-man garrison in a 3-day battle. The fort was never again attacked.
Location: Located on the west side of Route 12, midway between the business and residential sections of Charlestown. This marker stands within boundaries of the Charlestown Main Street Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1987.