First Roman Catholic Church


April 25. 2011 1:47PM






Old Church Road
Claremont, NH

Marker Number: 41
Name and date established: Claremont 1966

Description: Southerly on Old Church Road is located the first Roman Catholic edifice in New Hampshire. It was erected in 1823 under the direction of the Reverend Virgil Horace Barber, S.J. The building served St. Mary's parish and contained the first Roman Catholic School in the State.

Location: Located on the south side of Route 12 and Route 103 about 1.5 miles east of the Connecticut River.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Dr. Granny Stalbird, 1755-1845, rode on horseback to visit, treat the sick
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The logging village of Wildwood
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Haverhill Corner Historic District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilsum Stone Arch Bridge, one of the highest in the state