Factory VillageMay 23. 2013 1:50PM
Marker Number: 153
Name and date established: Bennington 1985, 1987
Description: Directly east was the "Great Falls of the Contoocook," where the river dropped 75 feet in less than a mile. Mills have been located here since 1783. In 1810, one of New England's first cotton mills started here. There has been a paper mill at the site of Monadnock Paper Mills since early in the 19th century. Five dams also powered a cutlery factory, a fulling mill, a powder mill, and a tannery. By the turn of the 20th century, the oldest dam generated electricity for Antrim and Bennington. Now the dams are used by the paper mill for power and flow control.
Location: Located on the east side of Route 202, near its junction with Route 31.