Exeter Town House


May 23. 2013 1:47PM

Exeter Town House - Exeter, New Hampshire 







Junction of Route 108 & 11 Exeter, NH

Marker Number: 97
Name and date established: Exeter 1974

Description: The historic Town House of Exeter stood near this site. Here, on January 5, 1776, the Provincial Congress adopted and signed the first state constitution thereby establishing an indpendent state government, the first of the thirteen colonies. The newly created Legislative Assembly met here during the Revolution.

Location: Located at the junction of Court Street (Route 108) and Front Street (Route 11) in downtown Exeter. The Town House remained in use until replaced by a new structure in 1793. This marker was erected in cooperation with the New Hampshire American Revolution Bicentennial Commission. The marker stands within the Front Street Historic District which was listed on the National Historic Register in 1973.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilford commemorates a Revolutionary War battle
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Republic of Indian Stream
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Zealand and James Everell Henry
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Soapstone in Francestown
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Washington considered the birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Joel McGregor, Last Surviving Soldier of the Revolution