Exeter Town House


May 23. 2013 1:47PM

Exeter Town House - Exeter, New Hampshire 







Junction of Route 108 & 11 Exeter, NH

Marker Number: 97
Name and date established: Exeter 1974

Description: The historic Town House of Exeter stood near this site. Here, on January 5, 1776, the Provincial Congress adopted and signed the first state constitution thereby establishing an indpendent state government, the first of the thirteen colonies. The newly created Legislative Assembly met here during the Revolution.

Location: Located at the junction of Court Street (Route 108) and Front Street (Route 11) in downtown Exeter. The Town House remained in use until replaced by a new structure in 1793. This marker was erected in cooperation with the New Hampshire American Revolution Bicentennial Commission. The marker stands within the Front Street Historic District which was listed on the National Historic Register in 1973.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Camp Stark, NH's WWII German POW camp, housed about 250 soldiers
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Metallak, 'The lone Indian of the Magalloway'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hindale’s Auto Pioneer
Example blog post alt Roadside History: George Washington's Visit
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008