Exeter Town House
May 23. 2013 1:47PM
Junction of Route 108 & 11
Marker Number: 97
Name and date established: Exeter 1974
Description: The historic Town House of Exeter stood near this site. Here, on January 5, 1776, the Provincial Congress adopted and signed the first state constitution thereby establishing an indpendent state government, the first of the thirteen colonies. The newly created Legislative Assembly met here during the Revolution.
Location: Located at the junction of Court Street (Route 108) and Front Street (Route 11) in downtown Exeter. The Town House remained in use until replaced by a new structure in 1793. This marker was erected in cooperation with the New Hampshire American Revolution Bicentennial Commission. The marker stands within the Front Street Historic District which was listed on the National Historic Register in 1973.