East Weare Village


January 09. 2014 4:11PM






Route 77 & South Sugar Hill Road
Weare, NH

Marker Number: 143
Name and date established: Weare 1982

Description: In 1960 their beautiful community was sacrificed for the Everett Flood Control Project. Their village was the home for over 60 families and was a self supporting thriving community. Farming and lumbering was the way of life for the villagers. East Weare formerly had a train depot, churches, school, post office, toy shop, garage, grocery store, lumber mills, grist mill, also Grange Hall, cemeteries, blacksmith shop and creamery.

Location: Located on Route 77, at its intersection with South Sugar Hill Road, between North Weare and South Weare.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, author of 'Mary had a little lamb' (1788-1879)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Keene Glass Industry and Stoddard Glass products from 1800s highly prized today
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)