East Weare Village


January 09. 2014 4:11PM






Route 77 & South Sugar Hill Road
Weare, NH

Marker Number: 143
Name and date established: Weare 1982

Description: In 1960 their beautiful community was sacrificed for the Everett Flood Control Project. Their village was the home for over 60 families and was a self supporting thriving community. Farming and lumbering was the way of life for the villagers. East Weare formerly had a train depot, churches, school, post office, toy shop, garage, grocery store, lumber mills, grist mill, also Grange Hall, cemeteries, blacksmith shop and creamery.

Location: Located on Route 77, at its intersection with South Sugar Hill Road, between North Weare and South Weare.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General Enoch Poor served under Washington and Lafayette
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Norris Cotton, US representative and senator (1900-1989)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment