Durgin Bridge

January 09. 2014 4:08PM

Durgin Bridge - Sandwich, New Hampshire 
Fellow's Hill Road
Sandwich, NH

Marker Number: 82
Name and date established: Sandwich 1972

Description: Built by Jacob Berry of North Conway, this bridge is the fourth to span the Swift River here since 1820. Freshets in 1844, 1865, and 1869 destroyed the first three. The bridge is named for James Holman Durgin (1815 to 1873), who ran a grist mill near it, drove a stage from Sandwich to Farmington, and was a link in the underground slave railroad from Sandwich to Conway.

Location: Located near North Sandwich, 1.5 miles east of Route 113-A on Fellow's Hill Road and 1.5 miles north of Route 113 on Foss Flats Road. This marker was erected in cooperation with the Sandwich Historical Society. The Durgin Bridge was listed on the National Register in 1983.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required