Crawford House


January 09. 2014 4:05PM

Crawford House - Carroll, New Hampshire 







Route 302
Carroll, NH

Marker Number: 87
Name and date established: Carroll 1972

Description: Abel Crawford and his son, Ethan Allen Crawford, built the fist Crawford House in 1828. It was run by Ethan's brother, Thomas, until sold in 1852. Fires in 1854 and 1858 destroyed the original inn and a replacement. Col. Cyrus Eastman erected the third and present Crawford House. It opened in July, 1859 to continue a tradition of hospitality to White Mountain visitors. Among them have been Daniel Webster, Nathanial Hawthorne, John Greenleaf Whittier and Presidents Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, and Harding.

Location: Located on Route 302, east of its junction with Route 3. Note: The Crawford House was destroyed again by fire in 1977. This marker was erected in cooperation with the Littleton Area Historical Society. Crawford Depot, the train station for Crawford House, was listed on the National Register in 1982, and the Crawford House Artist's Studio was listed on the National Register in 1985.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General Enoch Poor served under Washington and Lafayette
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Norris Cotton, US representative and senator (1900-1989)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment