The Cornish Colony / Saint Gauden's Historic Site
April 25. 2011 2:02PM
Marker Number: 134
Name and date established: Cornish 1979
Description: The Cornish Colony (1885 to 1935) was a group of artists, sculptors, writers, journalists, poets, and musicians who joined the sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848-1906), most famous for the Walking Liberty silver dollar and historical sculptures around the world, in Cornish and found the area a delightful place to live and work. Some prominent members were sculptor Herbert Adams, poet Percy MacKaye, architect Charles A. Platt, and artist Stephen Parrish and nearby is the studio of his son, Maxfield Parrish, now a museum.
Location: Located on Route 12-A, just north of the entrance to the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site. The Saint-Gaudens House & Studio was listed on the National Register in 1972. The Saint-Gaudens Memorial was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962 was automatically listed on the National Register in 1966 when the Register was started and is now a part of the National Park System as the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site. Other National Register properties associated with members of the Cornish Colony include the Mothers and Daughters Club House (listed in 1982) and the Plainfield Town Hall (listed in 1985) both in Plainfield.