Concord Coach


January 09. 2014 4:00PM

The Concord Coach - Concord, New Hampshire 







Route 3
Concord, NH

Marker Number: 128
Name and date established: Concord 1979

Description: The Abbot-Downing Company began in 1813 when Lewis Downing founded a wagon factory located here from 1816 to 1828. In 1828 he was joined by J. Stephens Abbot. The next century saw 14 styles of "stage" coaches, the most famous being the Concord Coach and 40 styles of commercial and plea sure vehicles carrying the name of Concord all over the United States and around the world. This marker was erected in cooperation with the City of Concord.

Location: Located on the west side of South Main Street (Route 3) in the southern end of downtown Concord.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Captain Josiah Crosby / Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District