Colonial Grant


January 09. 2014 3:59PM






Hillsborough Center
Hillsborough, NH

Marker Number: 107
Name and date established: Hillsborough 1976

Description: In 1769, Col. John Hill, a Masonian proprietor, "granted forever" a tract of land in and around this triangle plot to the first settled minister Rev. Jonathan Barnes, providing locations for the church, meetinghouse, minister's homestead, school, pound, training field, and burying ground. Worthy of note is that descendants of the original grantee still occupy many of these 18th and early 19th century homes.

Location: Located in Hillsborough Center about 3.3 miles north of the intersection of Route 9 and Route 149.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: 'America's Stonehenge' is found at Mystery Hill in Salem
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First Ski School in America
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Kilburn Brothers Stereoscopic View Factory offered early 3D technology
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sunset Baseball
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The Cornish Artists' Colony
Example blog post alt Roadside History: 'Captain Lovewell's War' against the Abenaki