Chester Village Cemetery


January 09. 2014 3:57PM

Captain John W. Gunnison - Goshen, New Hampshire 







Route 102
Chester, NH

Marker Number: 139
Name and date established: Chester 1980

Description: This graveyard, one of the oldest in the state, was purchased by Colonel John Blunt for 70 pounds in 1751. Signed stones by the finest stone sculptors in New England are found here. Among these craftsmen are: Stephen and Abel Webster, John Marble, John Wright, and Timothy Eastman. Revolutionary heroes rest here as well as two governors of the state, Samuel and John Bell, William Richardson, Chief Justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court, Isaac Blasdel, the clockmaker, and others. The Chester Village Cemetary was listed on the National Register in 1979.

Location: Located on the south side of Route 102, just east of its junction with Route 121.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First Ski School in America
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Kilburn Brothers Stereoscopic View Factory offered early 3D technology
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sunset Baseball
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The Cornish Artists' Colony
Example blog post alt Roadside History: 'Captain Lovewell's War' against the Abenaki
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Potter Place in Andover was home to the first famous American-born magician