Camp Stark German Prisoner of War Camp


January 09. 2014 3:21PM






Route 110
Stark, NH

Marker Number: 150
Name and date established: Stark 1985

Description: In the spring of 1944 a high fence and four guard towers transformed a former Civilian Conservation Corps Camp on this site into New Hampshire's sole World War II prisoner-of-war camp. About 250 German and Austrian soldiers, most of whom were captured in North Africa, lived in Camp Stark while working in the surrounding forest where they cut pulpwood vital to wartime industry. The camp closed in the spring of 1946 when the prisoners of war were returned to their homeland. Several maintained the new friendships they had formed with local New Hampshire residents.

Location: Located on the south side of Route 110, about 1.6 miles east of the Stark Covered Bridge.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'