Bound Rock


January 09. 2014 3:19PM






Woodstock Street
Hampton, NH

Marker Number: 120
Name and date established: Hampton 1978

Description: This rock, originally in the middle of the Hampton River, indicated the start of the boundary line surveyed by Captain Nicholas Shapely and marked by him "AD 1657-HB and SH" to determine the line between Hampton and Salisbury, HB meaning Hampton Bound and SH, Shapely's mark. Lost for many decades due to the shifting of the river's mouth, the original course of the river and the Bound Rock were rediscovered in 1937. This historically important boulder, still serving as the boundary marker, was enclosed by the State of New Hampshire that same year. The marker was erected in cooperation with the Town of Hampton. It is one of the oldest boundary markers in the United States.

Location: To get to Bound Rock, take Route 1-A south toward Seabrook. Take the first left past the bridge over the Hampton Harbor Inlet, which is Eisenhower Street. Follow Eisenhower to Campton Street, turn right onto Portsmouth Street, then left onto Woodstock Street.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General Enoch Poor served under Washington and Lafayette
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Norris Cotton, US representative and senator (1900-1989)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment