Bedell Bridge


January 03. 2014 3:42PM

 







Haverhill, New Hampshire

Marker Number: 136
Name and date established: Haverhill 1979

Description: The last of five 19th century bridges which have existed at this location was erected in 1866 by a local entrepreneur, Moody Bedell, who had operated a ferry service here prior to the first bridge in 1805. The 396-foot structure was the largest surviving example of a two-span covered bridge utilizing Burr truss and timber arch design. Following several years of human effort which corrected decades of deterioration, the newly restored landmark was destroyed by a violent windstorm on September 14, 1979.

Location: Located near the site of the old bridge, in Bedell Bridge State Park, which is on the west side of Route 10, south of its junction with Route 25. The Bedell Bridge was listed on the National Register in 1975.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Only 1 of Weare's 22 Piscataquog River Mills remains
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hawke Meeting House
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Wentworth Cheswill (1746-1817), 'New Hampshire's first historian'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilford commemorates a Revolutionary War battle
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Republic of Indian Stream
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Zealand and James Everell Henry