Barrett House


January 03. 2014 3:38PM






Route 123A
New Ipswich, NH

Marker Number: 137
Name and date established: New Ipswich 1980

Description: Built in 1800 by Charles Barrett, as a residence for his son, Charles Jr., "Forest Hall" as it was known, pays tribute to the Barrett family and to the 19th century textile industry. The Barrett textile mills, located in Bank Village, produced cotton fabric for domestic and export usage. This house demonstrates fine federal architecture and testifies to the skill of the local craftsmen.

Location: Located on Route 123-A, just south of the Barrett House, in the village of New Ipswich.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'