Baker River


January 03. 2014 3:37PM

 







Safety Rest Area
Rumney, NH

Marker Number: 55
Name and date established: Rumney 1968

Description: Known to Indians as Asquamchumauke, the nearby river was renamed for Lt. Thomas Baker (1682 to 1753) whose company of 34 scouts from Northhampton, Mass passed down this valley in 1712. A few miles south his men destroyed a Pemigewasset Indian village. Massachusetts rewarded the expedition with a scalp bounty of 40 pounds and made Baker a captain.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 125 at the Rumney safety rest area.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Dr. Granny Stalbird, 1755-1845, rode on horseback to visit, treat the sick
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The logging village of Wildwood
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Haverhill Corner Historic District