Amoskeag Mills


January 03. 2014 3:35PM

Amoskeag Mills - Manchester, NH 







Canal & West Penacook Streets
Manchester, NH

Marker Number: 124
Name and date established: Manchester 1978

Description: Samuel Blodgett began a canal to bypass the steep falls in 1793, with money provided by a lottery. The canal was finished in 1807. Mills then sprang up on both sides of the river below the falls. The world renowned Amoskeag Manufacturing Company flourished here for a century, operating 64 mills, covering a mile and a half of ground housing 700,000 spindles and 23,000 looms which turned out 500,000 yards of cloth each week. In 1982 the National Register listed five Amoskeag Manufacturing Company Housing Districts. F our are located south of the marker, between the large mill buildings and Elm Street (Route 3). The fifth of these National Register Districts is located on the west side of the Merrimack River, on MacGregor Street, across from the Coolidge Mill.

Location: Located on the east side of the Merrimack River, south of the Amoskeag Bridge, in the southwest corner of the Manchester Armory parking lot, at the intersection of Canal and West Penacook Streets.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Soapstone in Francestown
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Washington considered the birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Joel McGregor, Last Surviving Soldier of the Revolution
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Captain Josiah Crosby / Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years