Endicott Rock

January 03. 2014 3:31PM

Endicott Rock, Laconia, NH 

Route 3
Laconia, NH
Phone: 603-436-1552

Description: The name of John Endicott, Governor of Massachusetts Bay, and the initials of Edward Johnson and Simon Willard, Commissioners of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and of John Sherman and Jonathan Ince, Suveyors, were inscribed on the rock on August 1, 1652. The rock marked the assumed headwaters of the Merrimack River. Under the original Bay Charter of 1629, the northern boundary of the colony was fixed as a line three miles north of the Merrimack.

History: The commissioners, surveyors and two Native American guides, Pontauhum and Ponbakin, reached what is now Franklin, where the river separated into two branches. The party went toward the east on the Winnipesaukee River to the outlet of Lake Winnipesaukee, referring to it as "Aquedahian."

The Massachusetts Bay Colony and the Masonian Proprietors of New Hampshire (and their successors) struggled for control of territory. The boundary was linked with, and a reflection of, the Puritan-Stuart political antagonisms in the mother country of England. The issue was not resolved until an English court decision of 1740, which set the northern boundary of Massachusetts west of the Merrimack River as a line directly west from Dracut Falls.

This outlet is now known as the Weirs, named after prehistoric fish weirs the Aquadoctan Indian inhabitants used to catch salmon.

Location: Located on Route 3 in Laconia

Open: Year Round
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: 'Captain Lovewell's War' against the Abenaki
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Potter Place in Andover was home to the first famous American-born magician
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Winston Churchill - no, not that Churchill
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bear Brook was the last active CCC camp in NH (1935-1942)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Camp Stark, NH's WWII German POW camp, housed about 250 soldiers
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Metallak, 'The lone Indian of the Magalloway'