Fort Constitution


January 03. 2014 3:32PM

 (Lisa Martineau)







Off Route 1B at the U.S. Coast Guard Station
New Castle, NH
Phone: 603-436-1552

Description: It overlooks both the Pisquatua River and the Atlantic Ocean.

In 1791, the State of New Hampshire gave the United States the neck of land on which Fort William and Mary and a lighthouse were situated. The fort was repaired, renamed Fort Constitution and garrisoned with a company of United States artillery. Renovations, which included a wall twice as high as that of the colonial fort and new brick buildings, were completed in 1808. It is the ruins of this fort that are seen today.

Location: Located off Route 1B at the US Coast Guard Station
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilford commemorates a Revolutionary War battle
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Republic of Indian Stream
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Zealand and James Everell Henry
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Soapstone in Francestown
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Washington considered the birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Joel McGregor, Last Surviving Soldier of the Revolution