Albany Bridge #49
The first bridge on this site was constructed in 1857 and destroyed by a windstorm in 1858. The bridge has wide shallow arches and sharply raked facades. The U.S. Forest Service replace the wooden floor timbers with steel in 1981-1982. Near the bridge is a mud sill, taken from the bed of the river by the U.S. Forest Service, which probably supported the falsework or scaffolding during the construction of the span.
Year of Construction: - 1858
Original Cost: - $1,300
Just north of the Kancamagus Highway, six miles west of N.H. Route 16 on Dugway Road in Albany spanning the Swift River.
Paddleford truss with added arches. The bridge is 120'0" long with a clear span of 100'0". It has an overall width of 21'0" with a roadway width of 15'3", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'0". It is posted for six tons.