Flume Bridge #39
May 23. 2013 3:13PM
There has been much discussion about where this bridge was actually built. Some say it was built, used elsewhere, and later moved to this spot where it was needed more than at its previous location. However, many believe it was built for its present location in 1871 when the Lincoln Turnpike Company, created by an act of the Legislature, obtained the right to build the road from the main highway, U.S. Route 3, to a point near the foot of the Flume. It was originally covered with half-inch boards cut in about 30-inch lengths and put on like shingles. These were called shakes and served until a new covering was needed to stop leaks. Modern shingles replaced these shakes in 1951. The bridge is used by buses bringing visitors to the Flume and maintenance vehicles.
Year of Construction: - 1871
Original Cost: - Unknown
East of U.S. Route 3 in Lincoln over the Pemigewasset River at the junction of N.H. Route 175 and U.S. Route 3.
Paddleford truss. The bridge is 50'0" in length with a clear span of 41'4". it has an overall width of 20'9", a roadway width of 17'6", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'8". There is a hikers' walkway attached to the north side.