Keniston Bridge #15
May 23. 2013 3:09PM
The Keniston Bridge was built by Albert R. Hamilton. The bridge's name came from a prominent family of that name who lived for many years in one of the old homesteads in town. The bridge has been damaged only once, in 1972, when ice tore off several planks. During a 1981 rehabilitation, the bridge was lifted by two cranes and moved to a site only a few feet above water level. Workers had to work quickly and move the bridge back to its proper location when heavy rains fell, putting the bridge in jeopardy of being carried away by rising waters. The Keniston Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Year of Construction: - 1882
Original Cost: - $745.57
South of U.S. Route 4, one mile west of Andover Village on Lorden Road over the Blackwater River in Andover.
Town lattice truss. The bridge is 64'6" long with a clear span of 54'2". It has an overall width of 18'9" with a roadway width of 15'10" and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'0". It is partially sheathed on the sides and has a deep overhang reminiscent of the rakish prow of a ship. The bridge is posted for six tons.