Mt. Orne Bridge #30
May 23. 2013 3:06PM
The first bridge at this site was constructed in the 1860's or 70's to connect the towns of Lancaster, NH and Lunenburg, VT. The owner, Union Bridge Company, operated it as a toll bridge until it was destroyed by a log jam in 1908. Ferry service connected the two communities until a new bridge was built in 1911. The bridge was closed on July 5, 1983 for twelve weeks to allow rehabilitation by the state of New Hampshire at a cost of $133,000.
Year of Construction: - 1911
Original Cost: - $6,678
West of N.H. Route 135 on South Lancaster Road west of Lancaster Village spanning the Connecticut River between Lancaster, NH and Lunenburg, VT.
Howe Truss. The bridge is 266'3" long with clear spans of 127'4" and 126'0". It has an overall width of 20'6" with a roadway width of 14'5", and a maximum vertical clearance of 13'3". It is posted for six tons.