All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In

Saco River Bridge #48

Route 153
Conway, NH

In 1850, Jacob Berry and Peter Paddleford built a covered bridge to replace a crudely framed log bridge that had collapsed at this site. The 1850 bridge stood until the Swift River covered bridge crashed into it in 1869. The Saco River covered bridge was rebuilt by Allen and Warren of Conway but it was destroyed again by a tannery fire in 1890. The current bridge was built by Charles Broughton and his son Frank.

Year of Construction: - 1890

Original Cost: - $4,000

One-quarter mile north of N.H. Route 16 on N.H. Route 153 in Conway Village. The bridge spans the Saco River.

Paddleford truss with added arches. The bridge is 224'9" long with clear spans of 103'4" and 95'4". It has an overall width of 30'4" with a roadway width of 18'3" and a minimum vertical clearance of 13'7". It is posted for six tons.