Swift River Bridge #46

May 23. 2013 2:58PM

 (Dan Houde)

North of NH Route 16
Conway Village, NH

The first bridge on this site was built by John Douglass in 1850. It gave much needed access to the north using West Side Road and served local commerce well until the spring of 1869. At that time, heavy rains swelled the river and the raging waters lifted the bridge from its foundation, turned it around, and sent it rapidly downstream into the Saco River Covered Bridge knocking it off its moorings. Both damaged structures broke up and came to rest two miles downstream. In a striking demonstration of Yankee thrift, much of the lumber salvaged from these two bridges was used in the building of the new Swift River Covered Bridge constructed by Jacob Berry and his son Jacob Jr. The current bridge was bypassed when a new concrete and steel bridge was built nearby in 1974.

Year of Construction: - 1870

Original Cost: - Unknown

One-half mile north of N.H. Route 16 at Conway Village over the Swift River.

Paddleford truss with added arches. The bridge is 129'4" long with a clear span of 110'6". It has an overall width of 21'0" with a roadway width of 17'2", and a minimum vertical clearance of 13'2". The structure is closed to vehicular traffic.

White Mountains

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required