Swiftwater Bridge #29
May 23. 2013 2:58PM
This is the fourth bridge to be constructed at this site over the Ammonoosuc River. The first bridge was built in 1810 and carried away by flood in 1818. That same year, the bridge was replaced only to be destroyed by a flood in 1828. The third bridge lasted through 1849 when it was replaced by the current bridge. It was rebuilt again in 1977. This section of the river was used to float logs to the sawmill. Often, log jams presented a hazard to the bridge. In one case, dynamite was used to break up a log jam and although the blast was successful, logs had to be removed from the roof of the bridge.
Year of Construction: - 1849
Original Cost: - Unknown
North of N.H. Route 112 on Valley Road in Bath over the Wild Ammonoosuc River.
Paddleford truss with added arches. The bridge is 158'4" long with clear spans of 77'6" and 57'6". It has an overall width of 21'0", a roadway width of 14'6" and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'9". The bridge is posted for six tons.