Turkey Jim's Bridge #42

May 23. 2013 2:57PM

 (S. Krishnamurthi)

Old Stephans Road
Campton, NH

The original covered bridge on this site was built in 1874. The bridge's name originates from farmer, Jim Cummings, whose property it served. Cummings property was popularly known as Turkey Jim's Turkey Farm. The bridge was replaced in 1958 by Milton Graton. It was discovered then that due to the deteriorated condition of the structure it could not be repaired but would have to be replaced. In 1964, the bridge washed downstream, was retrieved, and set back on its abutments. It is no longer open to vehicular traffic but is used as a pedestrian crossing and snowmobile crossing in the winter.

Year of Construction: - 1958

Original Cost: - $3,700

Over the West Branch Brook in Campton on Old Stephans Road. The bridge can be reached by driving into the campground just east of U.S. Route 3 and north of N.H. Route 49.

Queenpost style. The bridge is 60'6" long with a clear span of 52'3". It has an overall width of 14'9" with a roadway width of 12'0", and a maximum vertical clearance of 9'11". The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic.

White Mountains

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required