Whittier Bridge #46


May 23. 2013 2:57PM

 







Old NH Route 125
Ossipee, NH

This is the fifth bridge to be located at this site. The first bridge was a crude open timber bridge, according to Town Records. Most sources credit the construction of the current bridge to Jacob Berry. The sides of the Whittier Bridge were originally closed with the exception of tiny windows. The sides were opened as part of a 1982 restoration. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic on March 15, 1989.

Year of Construction: - 1870's

Original Cost: - Unknown

Location:
West of N.H. Route 16 at West Ossipee Village on old N.H. Route 125 over the Bearcamp River.

Style-Characteristics:
Paddleford truss with added arches. The bridge is 132'7" long with a clear span of 114'0". It has an overall width of 20'6" with a roadway width of 14'10", and has a maximum vertical clearance of 12'6". The bridge is closed to vehicular traffic.


FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required