Sununu says he won't send NH National Guard troops to border 'to separate families'Staff Report
June 19. 2018 9:23PM
CONCORD — As the Trump administration defends its hard-line immigration policy at the U.S.-Mexico border, New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu said Tuesday that he has not been asked to provide National Guard troops to enforce the policy and that he would not provide them if asked.
“The New Hampshire National Guard has not been contacted, and I will not send our New Hampshire troops to the southern border to separate families,” he said.
Sununu joined a chorus of Republican and Democratic governors, including those from Massachusetts, New York and Colorado, who said they would not send National Guard troops to help with border enforcement because of the administration’s separation policy.
Republican Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland tweeted on Tuesday morning: “Until this policy of separating children from their families has been rescinded, Maryland will not deploy any National Guard resources to the border. Earlier this morning, I ordered our four crew members & helicopter to immediately return from where they were stationed in New Mexico.”
Like Sununu, Rhode Island Gov. Gina M. Raimondo said in a news release that she was not asked to send troops, but would not do so if asked.
“The Trump administration’s family separation policy is immoral, unjust and un-American,” Raimondo, a Democrat, said. “I will not deploy units from the Rhode Island National Guard to the southern border to support the administration’s policy that is ripping families apart.”