All Sections

Home | High School Sports

NHIAA Girls' Lacrosse: Clark lifts Sabers in double overtime

Special to the Union Leader

April 25. 2018 2:44AM

NASHUA — It was a battle between two of the last three state Division I girls’ lacrosse champions and it did not disappoint as the Souhegan Sabers fought off Bishop Guertin 7-6 in double overtime.

The winner came after 4:56 of extra lacrosse when Taylor Clark put home a free position shot to keep the Sabers undefeated at 7-0. Clark had a goal disallowed in the first half.

“She works really hard in there,” Souhegan coach Maren Petropulos said of Clark. “Whether it’s her height or whatever, she gets a lot of calls on her for some reason. Definitely poetic justice that she got a game winner.”

The loss was Guertin’s third in a row and dropped the Cardinals to 4-3.

Clark’s winner capped a diverse attacking game for the Sabers. Souhegan had five goal scorers: Brigid Casey and Abby Cranney each had a pair for the Sabers while Clark assisted on Casey’s first goal. Souhegan won the battle of ground balls, 22-16, which helped generate more offensive chances.

“It was definitely a team effort,” Clark said. “Everyone put in the work to get that.”

The Sabers got the better of it in the first half, scoring the first two goals of the game and opening a 4-1 halftime lead. While the goals came early, the defense was anchored by Alex LaBrosse.

LaBrosse stood tall in cage, turning aside five of the eight shots she faced in the opening 25 minutes.

“Defensively, I think we had a really good game today,” Petropulos said. “I think our defense was tough. Alex in goal was great. I think our biggest problem today was getting the draw. We had multiple people in there and had a hard time coming up with it.”

The Cardinals had a 9-7 advantage in draw controls and that turned into offense in a big way after halftime. Guertin got two goals in the first 1:35 of the second half thanks to Katie Lupo and Abigail Ahearn, who finished with a pair of goals apiece. Lupo also added an assist.

Souhegan responded with goals from O’Neill Galinson and Casey to open the three-goal gap once again. Guertin fought and clawed down the stretch to tie the game but couldn’t find a way to get ahead. Lupo’s second goal tied the game at 6-6 with 5:48 to play.

“We had the chance multiple times,” Bishop Guertin coach Kerry Gobiel said. “We had more than enough opportunities. We had the shots. They just weren’t going in.”

Sports NHIAA Nashua