Woman who led police on two-state chase pleads not guiltyBy KEVIN LANDRIGAN
New Hampshire Union Leader
January 18. 2018 10:10PM
NASHUA — The 54-year-old Nashua woman who led police on a two-state chase after making the false claim that her son had been shot and killed inside her home pleaded not guilty to multiple charges Thursday.
Carmelita Vergez faces her next appearance in Hillsborough County Superior Court on Feb. 15.
Police had initially gone to Vergez’ home at 11 Major Drive Wednesday night to arrest her son, King Mercedes, on drug charges, according to a Nashua police prosecutor.
That’s when Vergez got into her 2004 Honda Odyssey, told police officers that Mercedes was found dead inside her home, and then fled the area.
Officers tried to bring Vergez to a stop on Allds Street but she drove south on Main Street and crossed into Tyngsborough, Mass.
After a brief time Vergez crossed back into Nashua on Route 3.
Nashua officers closed part of the F.E. Everett Turnpike northbound while installing spike strips in the area of Exit 5.
She crashed her vehicle into the cars of two innocent bystanders, one on Daniel Webster Highway and then another on the turnpike at the Exit 6 off-ramp.
Police said Vergez then got out of the vehicle and ran away before officers were able to capture and arrest her.
Vergez faces two counts of disobeying a police officer, two counts of conduct after an accident, resisting detention and resisting arrest. All are misdemeanors.
Police officers went to the home after the crash and found Mercedes safe and sound.