All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Three displaced, home damaged in Manchester fire

December 13. 2017 11:24AM
Firefighters work on cleaning up after a fire at a Highwood Drive home on Wednesday. (JEFFREY HASTINGS)

MANCHESTER — An early morning fire in the city Wednesday displaced three adults and sent one resident to a Boston hospital for problems related to smoke inhalation, the Manchester Fire Department reported.

The fire was reported shortly before 5:30 a.m. at 36 Highwood Drive, according to the Red Cross.

The Fire Department said hard-wired smoke detectors had been disconnected. The fire was able to grow and for smoke to build in the home before residents awoke and realized what was happening.

The three residents had evacuated from the home by the time firefighters arrived. The fire was in the basement and firefighters needed about 30 minutes to extinguish it.

The cause is believed to be electrical, but an investigation is underway.

The 55-year-old male was taken by ambulance to the Elliot Hospital for smoke inhalation then taken to a Boston hospital for further treatment.

“Red Cross Disaster Action Team volunteers have met with the residents and have ensured everyone has a safe place to sleep and has food, clothing and other essentials,” the Red Cross said in a statement. Caseworkers will stay in contact with the family, the organization said.

The Red Cross accepts donations at, at 1-800-464-6692. Or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Fires Manchester

More Headlines

Fire ruins home, but cat is rescued