All three segments installed for new Hooksett footbridge
HOOKSETT — All three segments of the new Lilac Bridge in town were installed as of Monday, and the rest of the work to make the bridge walkable is expected to be finished by December.
The segments were floated to their spots from the shore of the Merrimack River and were lifted into place by cranes onto the stone bearings. The work that remains includes finishing the flooring of the walkway and building up the road to each of the entrances.
The new footbridge will span across the river, connecting Merrimack Street to Riverside Drive near Robie’s Country Store, and will mirror the shape of the former Lilac Bridge.
Built in 1909, the old bridge stretched across the Merrimack River, connecting Riverside Street to Veterans Drive. It was a Pratt Truss highway bridge built by John Storrs, a well-known engineer who worked in New Hampshire and neighboring states.
Last April, the town put the old bridge out for bid in order to help preserve it, as the state required that the town attempt to sell the bridge, which was eligible for placement on the National Register of Historic Places, before tearing it down.
In July, it was demolished in a controlled explosion to make room for the new footbridge. Parts of the old bridge were saved to be used in a future exhibit about its history.
The new bridge, designed by DuBois & King of Laconia, is being constructed by ED Swett of Concord.
In all, the entire project is expected to cost about $3.3 million.
Video of the segments being installed can be viewed below: