All Sections

Home | Health

Former Claremont doctor's license suspended amid sex allegations

By PAUL FEELY
New Hampshire Union Leader

September 26. 2017 1:52PM




CONCORD — State medical officials have suspended the license of a Claremont physician after allegations of sexual contact with two female patients were brought against him.

The state Board of Medicine on Monday ordered the suspension of Eric Knight's license and ordered him to appear before the board Oct. 4.

He was fired by Valley Regional Hospital in Claremont in June after the allegations surfaced.

According to a board investigation, Knight had sexual relations with a patient, which started in his office during an examination last November.

He also wrote prescriptions for narcotic painkillers for her and did not properly record them in the Physician Drug Monitoring Program, the investigation showed.

Sex took place in the men's locker room at the Valley Regional Hospital and the basement of his Sunapee apartment building.

A call by the New Hampshire Union Leader to Sullivan County Attorney Marc Hathaway regarding any criminal charges in the matter has not yet been returned.

Knight allegedly gave the woman hormone injections and twice impregnated her, but she lost both pregnancies, the complaint said.

He also acknowledged sexual relations with another patient that started in the fall of 2013 when he worked for Elliot Primary Care in Londonderry, according to the complaint. He has been a physician in New Hampshire since 2001.

Knight told investigators that he suffers from depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder and "undiagnosed addictive personality discovered (in May 2017) after I had spiraled down, engaged in a sexual boundary crossing with a patient."

Knight's ex-wife, Cheryl Maher, 41, was killed in 2011 by Jacob Geiser, 18, the son of her then-boyfriend, Joe Geiser.

According to a 2011 news release issued by the Attorney General's Office, Geiser committed a home invasion at 477 Concord Stage Road, during which he pointed a gun at a man and pulled the trigger, but the gun misfired and Geiser fled.

But before he invaded the home on Concord Stage Road, Geiser had apparently strangled Maher, who had been living at the home for about three months, according to the news release.

When he returned from the home invasion, Geiser then apparently shot himself. Duval said Geiser died of a single gunshot wound to the head. His death was ruled a suicide.

pfeely@unionleader.com

The Board of Medicine's ruling on Knight can be viewed below:



Health Politics Public Safety Claremont Newport Concord

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required