Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years


March 10. 2017 7:52PM
 






N.H. historical marker number: 32.

Date established: 1965 in Exeter.

Location: Front Street/Route 111, in front of Exeter Town Offices.

What the sign says: "Founded by Rev. John Wheelwright in 1638, Exeter was one of the four original towns in the colony. Following New Hampshire's provisional declaration of independence on January 5, 1776, it served as the capital of the new state during the period of the American Revolution."

The back story: In 1774, the anti-England rebellious Provincial Congress began to meet in Exeter Town House after Royal Gov. John Wentworth banned it from the Colonial capital in Portsmouth. In July 1775, the Provincial Congress had the provincial records seized from royal officials in Portsmouth and brought to Exeter, which then became New Hampshire's capital for 14 years.

According to former Gov. Hugh Gregg, the Republican Party was born in Exeter on Oct. 12, 1853, at the Squamscott Hotel at a secret meeting of abolitionists.

Sources: State of N.H., Wikipedia
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)