Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond


March 03. 2017 6:29PM
 






N.H. Historical Marker Number: 93.
 
Date established: 1973 in Surry.

Location: East of Route 12A, in front of the Reed Free Library, 8 Village Road.

What the sign says: “To the east rises Surry Mountain, stretching four miles north and south. For many years, mines yielding small amounts of mica, copper, lead, silver and gold were operated along the ridge. In the saddle of the mountain, slightly north of the village, there is a Lily Pond, some 750 feet above the valley meadows. Often called a freak of nature, Lily Pond has been measured to be 80 feet deep in places.”

Back story: Local lore has excavations on Surry Mountain dating back to the Indians. In the town, which was incorporated in 1769, small mining operations in search of silver, copper and other ore started opening in the late 1700s and well into the 1800s. Granite State Gold and Silver Mining Company, which began operations in 1880, was the most extensive. After financial troubles, it closed in 1887.

Source: “History of the Town of Surry, Cheshire County, New Hampshire” by Frank Burnside Kingsbury.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)