Suspect in deadly Mass. home invasion arrested in Nashua
NASHUA -- A man suspected in an armed home invasion last month in which two men were shot dead in Lawrence, Mass., was arrested Tuesday evening at a local motel.
Ricardo Ortiz Hernandez, 21 of 345 Washington St., Dorchester, Mass., is not charged with murder. However, Massachuetts investigators wanted him on an original charge of being a fugitive from justice on a narcotics violation.
Nashua police charged him with possession with intent to distribute heroin, a Class B felony, after more than 10 grams of heroin and nearly $20,000 in cash was recovered in a search of a room at Lillian's Motel, 188 Concord St.
Hernandez' arrest came after Nashua police were notified by Massachusetts State Police and Lawrence police that he was believed to be staying in Room 2 at Lillian's Motel.
Ortiz, police said, is a suspect in the Aug. 10 home invasion on Inman Street in Lawrence where two men were shot to death. He was believed to possibly be in possession of at least one firearm, police said.
Investigators obtained a search warrant for the motel room and at 5:49 p.m. Tuesday went there with the department's Special Reaction Team. Ortiz was inside and arrested; a woman was detained. No one else was in the room.
Investigators obtained a second search warrant for the room, based on the Massachusetts homicide investigation. Nashua police detectives assisted in the search and police said items were recovered related to the double murder.
Lt. Denis Linehan said during the arrest, police broke a window and a shard of glass cut the wrist of a Nashua SRT member who needed about 15 stitches to close the wound. Linehan said he is expected to be back to work in about two weeks.
Hernandez was being held without bail, pending arraignment Wednesday in 9th Circuit Court - Nashua District Division.