Thomas Sowell: Choosing the right politicians for the right reasons
Since Obama won two presidential elections, chances are that some of those who now “strongly disapprove” of what he has done voted to put him in office. We all make mistakes, but the real question is whether we learn from them.
It is by no means guaranteed that this country will survive the long-run consequences of the disastrous decisions already made by Barack Obama, especially his pretense of stopping Iran’s becoming a nuclear power. If we wake up some morning and find some American city in radioactive ruins, will we connect the dots and see this as a consequence of voting to elect an unknown and untried man, for the sake of racial symbolism?
When President Calvin Coolidge caught everyone by surprise in 1928 by announcing that he would not run for re-election despite a prosperous economy and his own personal popularity, he simply said, “I do not choose to run.” But, when he later wrote a small autobiography, Coolidge explained the inherent dangers in the office of President of the United States, especially when one person remains in the White House too long.
Of Presidents who served eight years in office, he said, “in almost every instance” the last years of their terms show little “constructive accomplishments” and those years are often “clouded with grave disappointments.”
Thomas Sowell is a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution, Stanford University at Stanford. His website is www.tsowell.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- West Fest New Vaudeville Festival - 0
- Snowshoe Nature Tour - 0
- Juston McKinney's Last Laugh - 0
- The Nutcracker - 0
- Recycled Percussion - 0
- Only You - A Circus Show - 0
- Gift of Lights - 0
- The Wizard of Oz - 0
- Weekend Top 10 Planner: December 26-28, 2014 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads