Claremont home saved from garage fire
August 30. 2014 8:49PM
CLAREMONT - Investigators believe recently-used stain rags left in a garage spontaneously ignited, starting a fire early Saturday that firefighters contained before it spread to the house, the Claremont Fire Department said.
According to a press release, the owner of the house at 22 Chestnut St. noticed smoke in the hallway around 4:30 a.m.
He checked the garage and found severe heat and more smoke, then went back to the house to wake his family and get everbody outside.
Firefighters contained the fire around 6 a.m., but work continued to reach old asphalt shingles that were burning under a steel roof deck installed recently, the release said.
The last firefighters left the scene around 9 a.m. There were no injuries.
The fire department said the house had some minor smoke and heat damage.