Unity Elementary School off to late start
The school board made the decision Tuesday night after meeting with the school construction team.
In an interview Tuesday, Trumbull-Nelson executive vice president Ronald Bauer said he was confident the school would be ready to open next Tuesday.
Though the school is nearly complete and expected to receive its occupancy permit from the fire marshal’s office Thursday, Unity Elementary School principal Chip Baldwin said Wednesday that some parents at the meeting Tuesday night expressed concerns that the school would not be thoroughly cleaned of the construction dirt and dust before Tuesday. The parents also wanted to ensure teachers had time to get into the school and prepare before classes start.
The school’s opening will be the end of an eight-year saga for the small school district, Baldwin said. The school district tried for four years to get a bond approved for the project until code violations finally pushed the issue.
In July 2013, the state fire marshal’s office placed a stop work order on construction. The old school had already been demolished so Claremont elementary and middle schools accommodated the Unity students and teachers for the 2013-14 school year.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 9
- Milford road reopening could improve traffic flow - 0
- Town Hall hours in Salem up for debate - 0
- Coos County tax bills headed to unincorporated places - 0
- Tentative deal for old Manchester police station - 4
- Utility pole licensing changes could raise rates in Derry - 0
- Derry councilor wants to begin budget discussion - 0
- Major development approved in Merrimack - 1
- Weare residents turn out to discuss police department concerns - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Heavy, wet snow causes extended outages for Unitil customers - 0
- Osgood Road closed in Milford, 33% without power - 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket