Home » NewHampshire.com » A&E
Most who speak at public hearing favor Mount Sunapee plans
More than 250 people attended a hearing Tuesday night on Mount Sunapee's new five-year master plan. (DAN SEUFERT/Union Leader Correspondent)
But opponents of the plan to develop the “West Bowl” area of the mountain said the majority of audience members are against the plan — in large part because Mount Sunapee officials did not provide enough detail for them.
Elliott said the group has opposed development plans since a similar proposal was first put forward in 2001.
The ski area, which has 66 trails and slopes covering 233 skiable acres, is owned by the state but has been leased since 1998 by Tim and Diane Mueller, who also own Okemo Mountain Resort in Ludlow, Vt.
The West Bowl project would feature a high-speed quad chairlift and 75 acres of new ski terrain on the west slope of Mount Sunapee. Mount Sunapee officials are proposing to add four new ski trails, one new high-speed lift, a new base lodge and additional parking. There are other changes proposed in the plan, including an upgrade of the resort’s main ski lift.
“They’ve been a great help, getting veterans in here for free sometimes, giving veterans a chance to heal,” Marche said.
“We are concerned that they want to make the area residential, and make money on the housing,” she said. “They aren’t telling us everything ... and I think they’ve done enough developing.”
“But even if we wanted to build housing on the property, we would still have to go through the town of Goshen and meet the public’s approval through that process,” he said.
A few of those speaking in favor of the plans identified themselves as employees of the resort.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Stacey Cole's Nature Talks: A winter's walk inspires thoughts of 'long ago' - 0
- New System in Place for Issuing Bear Guide Permits - 0
- Join Loon Mountain's New Ultra Learner's Club, Get a Free Pair of HEAD Skis - 0
- Winter Wild Turkey Survey Starts January 1 - 0
- NH Hunting Season Results for Deer, Bear & Turkey - 0
- Fireworks, Open Houses at Hampton Beach for New Year's Eve - 0
- Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom announces five shows for the 2015 concert series - 0
- Man loses wallet, but sanitation workers save his identity - 4
- Propane now fuels the new Mt. Washington SnowCoach - 0
A new era for Nashua's police force
Enter to win tickets to see Tom Chapin
Win tickets to see Linkin Park
Arrest of dad at Gilford School Board meeting about Picoult book 'chilling' says judge, case dismissed
Convicted murderer entitled to hearing on new DNA evidence after 42 years, Supreme Court rules