Historic Merrimack bridge to be replaced
Union Leader Correspondent | August 21. 2014 6:09PM
The bridge on McGaw Bridge Road over Baboosic Brook in Merrimack will soon be reconstructed. (Kimberly Houghton)
“The bridge is not salvageable due to its age and condition. It is an old bridge,” said Kyle Fox, deputy director of the town’s Public Works Department.
A hole within the deck of the bridge was discovered more than a month ago, according to Fox, who said barriers were placed along the edge of the structure to protect the bridge and the public.
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources has analyzed those findings and determined that the bridge is eligible to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
“The Division of Historical Resources will make the final assessment on mitigation,” explained Fox.
Once the aging bridge is razed, Fox said a new, wider-span high beam bridge with a concrete deck will be constructed. He anticipates work to take about 8-12 months, with a detour route along the Daniel Webster Highway.
The state is expected to pay 80 percent of the project, or about $1.3 million, and the town is planning to fund the remaining 20 percent of the project, or about $329,408, according to the status report.