All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Judge refuses to change bail conditions for Portsmouth teen charged in crash

Union Leader Correspondent

August 18. 2014 7:57PM

BRENTWOOD — A judge refused to modify a curfew for a Portsmouth teen charged with striking two women with his car while they were walking in Hampton Beach.

The decision could possibly force the teen to return from California where he began attending college.

Remi Gross-Santos, 18, is facing five charges, including second-degree assault, for allegedly striking the women on June 12 while he was allegedly intoxicated from alcohol and marijuana.

Judge N. William Delker rejected a request by the defense after a hearing on Thursday.

Gross-Santos was driving along Ocean Boulevard near 11th St. when he struck Karen Weinhold, 69, and Lisa Beudry, 60, both of Hampton, according to police. Gross-Santos told officers on the scene that he had fallen asleep behind the wheel after going to a house party in Ipswich, Mass. Weinhold and Beudry sustained multiple fractures, prosecutors said.

Defense lawyer Andrew Cotrupi asked a judge to lift Gross-Santos’ 9 p.m. curfew so he could continue with plans to attend Berkeley City College in Berkeley, Calif.

“Given the timing of the accident in this case and the uncertain nature of when or if indictments would be presented, Mr. Gross-Santos, an honor student at Portsmouth High School, continued with his plans to enter Berkeley City College with classmates,” Cotrupi said in court papers.

Gross-Santos was indicted earlier this month in Rockingham County Superior Court.

Cotrupi said in court papers that keeping Gross-Santos home made little sense while the case works its way through the court system over several months.

Interim County Attorney James Boffetti said his office objected to the request because Gross-Santos should remain under the supervision of a parent given the facts of the case.

According to a police affidavit, Gross-Santos attended a house party in Ipswich, Mass. the night before the crash, where he drank five to seven alcoholic beverages. He told police officers at the scene that he was awake until 4 a.m. and slept for a couple of hours before heading back to Portsmouth High School for graduation rehearsal, according to police.

Gross-Santos remains on $25,000 personal recognizance bail.

Courts Crime Hampton

More Headlines