All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Victim says weekend shooting was not accidental

Union Leader Correspondent

August 18. 2014 8:23PM

NASHUA — A man accused of shooting his girlfriend this past weekend is claiming it was an accident, while the victim insists she was intentionally shot during a dispute about money, according to court documents.

Christopher W. Martini, 41, of 3 Balcom St., apt. A, told police that he was cleaning his .38 snub nose revolver on Saturday evening at 101½ Gilman St. when it accidentally discharged and struck his girlfriend when she unexpectedly walked in the room and attempted to give him a kiss.

The woman, identified in court documents as Olivia Putnam, 32, sustained a gunshot wound to the left side of her chest and a gunshot wound to her left arm, although medical experts said that one bullet may have caused both wounds.

Putnam told authorities that the shooting was not an accident, according to court records on file at the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.

“She stated that she was arguing with him about money and that he was mad,” according to prosecutors. “… Olivia stated that at one point, the defendant held the gun to her head. She stated that (Martini) and her were having a verbal argument that evening. She stated that it wasn’t an accident and that (he) did shoot her.”

Martini is facing felony charges of first-degree assault, domestic violence criminal threatening and reckless conduct for the incident. He was arraigned on Monday and held on $25,000 cash or surety bail.

When police arrived at the Gilman Street residence on Saturday, Martini was sitting on the outside steps of the apartment with blood on both of his hands, and appeared to be intoxicated, according to court records. A trail of blood was found throughout the apartment, in the nearby yard and in the basement, court records stated.

“It was a mistake … it just went off,” Martini told police, adding he “couldn’t remember what happened,” according to court documents.

Police located the revolver and determined that there were three spent rounds fired from the gun, according to court records, adding no gun cleaning supplies were located inside the apartment.

The victim was eventually flown by helicopter to UMass Memorial Medical Center in Worcester, Mass. Police said her injuries are non-life threatening. Martini, who moved into Putnam’s residence about a week ago, has been ordered to have no contact with his girlfriend, and is prohibited from possessing any weapons. He will be back in court on Aug. 28 for a probable cause hearing.

Courts Crime Nashua

More Headlines