Friends of Stark Park in Manchester honored for preservation work
Board member Patricia Howard, former president of the group, proudly displayed the award before joining friends seated in lawn chairs just south of the bandstand.
The structure, built in 2009, and concert series are both part of Friends of Stark Park’s efforts since it formed 10 years ago when a group of neighbors decided to take back the park and restore dignity to the property that includes the family gravesite of American Revolution Gen. John Stark.
The Friends’ latest effort was upgrading the Stark family burial plot, which was showing two centuries worth of wear and needed attention. The group raised the money needed to restore wrought iron fencing around the plot where Stark and several family members were laid to rest.
Howard said the celebration of completing the extensive work on the Stark plot will continue with a public ceremony Sept. 14, complete with participants dressed in Revolution-era clothing and music dating to the country’s earliest days.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.