Home » Opinion » Editorials
Pick Walt: Let's have Havenstein
Running a state is a difficult business, and Havenstein has the experience, judgment and temperament to do that job very well. As CEO of BAE Systems, New Hampshire’s largest manufacturer, he cut expenses and shored up a flagging pension system. Do those sound like skills today’s governor could use?
Last fall, Bloomberg ranked New Hampshire’s as the No. 5 most under-funded state pension system in the country.
Our economy, once the envy of New England, is struggling. High business taxes keep out-of-state companies from moving here, while misguided regulations keep health insurance and electricity costs astronomically high.
Financially, New Hampshire is in bad shape. Gov. Hassan has continued the status quo, actually advocating spending a recent small surplus rather than saving it as the treasurer recommended.
It has been a long time since New Hampshire has had a take-charge governor who worked to put the state on rock-solid financial footing. We think Havenstein would be that kind of governor.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Federal prosecutors are out of control - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: How offshore oil rigs are helping the environment - 1
- George Will: In Kentucky, a constitutional moment - 3
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 5
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Home-grown talent has UNH women's cross country out in front - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Playoff picture will get clearer - 0
- New players, new coach, new look for Monarchs in home opener tonight - 0
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 0
- Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad - 0
- FairPoint paying thousands a day for police details at Manchester sites alone - 0
- Police say man robbed Rochester bank wearing zebra print dress - 0
- New York doctor who worked in West Africa tests positive for Ebola - 0
- UMass Lowell polls show senate, gubernatorial races still a close call - 0
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks