Weare's Old Home Day offers up 250 reasons to celebrate town pride
KATHLEEN BAGLIO HUMPHREYS
Union Leader Correspondent |
August 07. 2014 6:40PM
A mint condition 1955 Crown Victoria, 1954 Sun Valley and a 1953 Mercury will be part of the Weare Antique and Classic Car Show and be seen driving during the Old Homes Day parade on Aug. 23. (Kathleen Baglio Humphreys)
WEARE — Three cars from the 1950s that look like they just rolled out of the showroom will be on display at the Weare Antique and Classic Car Show and will be part of the Old Home Day Parade Aug. 23.
Old Home Day runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The parade kicks off at 10 a.m. The Antique and Classic Car Show will start at 1 p.m. in the town center.
In honor of its 250th anniversary, owners of model year 1964 or older cars are encouraged to join the parade. So those early 1950s muscle cars and classic 1930’s cars could be cruising down Rt. 77 to spectators’ delight.The is no entry fee for the car show, and prizes will be awarded in pre-1930s, ’30s, ’40s, ’50s, ’60s and ’70s, 1980 and up classic, special interest and muscle only, best street rod and longest distance categories.
A running 1914 Model T Ford will be in the parade. Also participating will be “a forerunner of the auto, which ran through the town of Weare — the Concord Stage coach,” said John Knox, owner of Sassy Racing Engines in Weare.
Weare is tapping into the history of the Ford Motor Company in the community by displaying items from the South Weare Garage, including a photograph of Henry Ford standing by the door of the garage.
The garage was an authorized Ford dealership and a vibrant business at the intersection of routes 77 and 114. The garage is out of business now, but the old brick building remains, as do the memories. Other memorabilia include old ledgers, brochures and original sales receipts of new and used cars dating as early as 1930s, parts, an old sign and other artifacts.
“It’s fun to look at old sales receipts. In the ’30s, the high price was $524 and used cars were less than $100 from families’ right here in town,” added Knox.
For information, call John Knox at 660-1742 or visit www.weare250th.org.